Canan Station Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Canan Station, a suburb of Altoona, Pennsylvania, pop. (1952) 430, where workers at the Altoona Mennonite Mission conducted Sunday-school services on Saturday afternoon in a public school for 23 years, until 1951, when the time was changed to Sunday afternoon. Twelve members of the Mennonite Church lived in the area. The plans in the mid-1950s were to build a chapel as soon as funds were available.

In 2007 the church was located at 455 Burns Ave., Altoona, Pennsylvania.

In 2015 the Canan Station congregation left the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. This move was part of a larger realignment of Mennonite congregations in the 2010s that were formerly part of Mennonite Church USA. These congregations were unhappy with Mennonite Church USA's failure to take stronger disciplinary actions against area conferences and congregations who expressed openness to inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.

Additional Information

Address: 455 Burns Ave., Altoona, Pennsylvania

Phone: 814-695-0341

Denominational Affiliations:


Author(s) F B
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

B, F. "Canan Station Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 17 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canan_Station_Mennonite_Church_(Altoona,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=148608.

APA style

B, F. (1953). Canan Station Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canan_Station_Mennonite_Church_(Altoona,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=148608.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 509. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.