The Chapel Mennonite Church, now extinct, was located near New Stark, a village in Ohio. Hence it was sometimes called the New Stark congregation. It was founded by Mennonites from Stark County, Ohio, and several families who were the descendants of Bishop John Thut of Bluffton, Ohio. The settlement dates from 1839 but the congregation was not organized until 1876. The church was built two years later. In earlier years the members belonged to the Riley Creek Church (later Zion) near Bluffton. John Blosser was the first superintendent of the Sunday school organized in 1878. After his ordination to the ministry in 1891, he was succeeded by his brother Noah. John Blosser was ordained bishop in 1895 and served for many years as president of the Mennonite Board of Education. He also was active as an evangelist. After his death in 1921 his brother Noah served as pastor. When the congregation became involved in difficulties with the Ohio Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church) it withdrew from the conference in 1927 and transferred its membership to the General Conference Mennonite Church. Noah Blosser was then ordained elder and served until his death in 1936. The congregation declined in membership until it united with the few remaining members of the Presbyterian Church and others in New Stark to form the New Stark Community Church.
|Author(s)||John S Umble|
Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chapel_Mennonite_Church_(New_Stark,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=55538.
Umble, John S. (1953). Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chapel_Mennonite_Church_(New_Stark,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=55538.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.