The Chester Mennonite Church (Old Order Mennonite), located near Wooster, Chester Township, Wayne County, Ohio, formerly called the Eight Square Mennonite Church, is a member of the Ohio and Indiana Conference of the Old Order (Wisler) Mennonite Church. The settlement, made in the late 1820s, was one group until 1858, when John Holdeman formed the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, which group reportedly left the community in 1884. It is commonly accepted that the entire congregation sided with the Wisler movement in 1873 in rejecting English preaching and the Sunday school. In the spring of 1907, the larger part of the congregation sided with the Bishop Martin group of Indiana, which rejected some modern inventions (chiefly the telephone) and English preaching and withdrew. The withdrawing group now is called the Eight Square Mennonite Church. The 10 remaining members, with no minister, were served once a month by ministers of sister groups of eastern Ohio for many years. With 42 members in 1950, the group worshiped on alternate Sundays in a frame building built in 1873 which replaced a log house reportedly built in the 1840s. Ministers who have served the congregation are John Shaum, Peter Troxel, Peter Landis, Peter Imhoff, and Daniel Martin (the latter two left the group in 1907 but Martin rejoined in 1940), and C. J. Good, 1944-1950.
Cite This Article
Bauman, Harold. "Chester Mennonite Church (Wayne County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chester_Mennonite_Church_(Wayne_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=86667.
Bauman, Harold. (1953). Chester Mennonite Church (Wayne County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chester_Mennonite_Church_(Wayne_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=86667.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.