The Chipewyan Lakes congregation resulted from exploration of voluntary service (VS) opportunities in Northern Alberta by Ike and Millie Glick in 1959 on behalf of the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. A small Native Canadian community remained at Chipewyan Lakes that still relied on fur trading for its well-being. Glick became an agent for a licensed fur trader at this remote community. Ike and Millie also encouraged Fred and Elsie Gingrich, who had been in Sandy Lake, Alberta, to reopen a Hudson Bay Company store as well as a school in the community. In 1962 Mennonite VS workers began to serve as teachers in the school, beginning with Alvin Hershberger in 1962. The Gingrichs conducted Sunday school, and cooking and craft programs, but never started a formal church at Chipewyan Lakes. The occasional worship services were inter-denominational in nature. The participation of the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities ended in the mid-1970s when VS programs contracted after the end of the Vietnam War. Chipewyan Lakes was listed as related to the Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference until about 1974.
Mennonite Historical Society of Canada database project (Letter with information sheet).
Regehr, T. D. Faith, Life and Witness in the Northwest, 1903-2003 : Centennial History of the Northwest Mennonite Conference. Kitchener, Ont. : Pandora Press, 2003: 250-252.
|Date Published||March 2010|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Chipewyan Lakes Mennonite Church (Chipewyan Lakes, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2010. Web. 14 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chipewyan_Lakes_Mennonite_Church_(Chipewyan_Lakes,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=55590.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (March 2010). Chipewyan Lakes Mennonite Church (Chipewyan Lakes, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chipewyan_Lakes_Mennonite_Church_(Chipewyan_Lakes,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=55590.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.