Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Chippawa was a town in Welland County, Ontario (now a community within the city of Niagara Falls), on the Niagara River a few miles south of the Canadian Niagara Falls. One main travel route of the Mennonite pioneers immigrating from Pennsylvania crossed high up on the Niagara River from Black Rock to the Canadian side, followed the river north through Black Creek and used the Boyer farm, some eight miles (13 km) south of Chippawa, as a stopping place and Chippawa as the point to turn into the peninsula to the Short Hills south of Vineland, to the Twenty at Vineland, and westward. South of Chippawa on the Sodom Road lived Deacon Joseph Wellick, who served in the Willoughby Township Church at Riverside near Boyer's and in whose home services were sometimes conducted.


Author(s) Joseph C Fretz
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C. "Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chippawa_(Welland_County,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=86694.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C. (1953). Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chippawa_(Welland_County,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=86694.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 563. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.