From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 1: Line 1:
Churchtown Mennonite Church ([[Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church|Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church]]) .25 mile (.5 km) east of Route 74 and Route 174 in [[Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Cumberland County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], originated in 1835, when Preacher John Erb gave land for a meetinghouse three miles (five km) east of Carlisle. In 1885 another meetinghouse was built in Churchtown. The membership was low for some years, but in the 1950s as a mission station the work was revived. The Sunday-school attendance in 1954 was 66 (average). Under the leadership of William M. Strong, bishop, Mervin J. Baer, minister, the 1954 membership was 23. In 2009 the membership was 57. The congregation was originally part of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference,]]but joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church when it formed in 1968.
+
Churchtown Mennonite Church ([[Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church|Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church]]) .25 mile (.5 km) east of Route 74 and Route 174 in [[Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Cumberland County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], originated in 1835, when Preacher John Erb gave land for a meetinghouse three miles (five km) east of Carlisle. In 1885 another meetinghouse was built in Churchtown. The membership was low for some years, but in the 1950s as a mission station the work was revived. The Sunday-school attendance in 1954 was 66 (average). Under the leadership of William M. Strong, bishop, Mervin J. Baer, minister, the 1954 membership was 23. In 2009 the membership was 57. The congregation was originally part of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference, ]]but joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church when it formed in 1968.
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 1341 Church Street, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 1341 Church Street, Carlisle, Pennsylvania

Revision as of 13:58, 23 August 2013

Churchtown Mennonite Church (Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church) .25 mile (.5 km) east of Route 74 and Route 174 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, originated in 1835, when Preacher John Erb gave land for a meetinghouse three miles (five km) east of Carlisle. In 1885 another meetinghouse was built in Churchtown. The membership was low for some years, but in the 1950s as a mission station the work was revived. The Sunday-school attendance in 1954 was 66 (average). Under the leadership of William M. Strong, bishop, Mervin J. Baer, minister, the 1954 membership was 23. In 2009 the membership was 57. The congregation was originally part of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, but joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church when it formed in 1968.

Additional Information

Address: 1341 Church Street, Carlisle, Pennsylvania

Phone: 717-258-8905

Denominational Affiliation: Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church

Maps

Map:Churchtown Mennonite Church (Carlisle, Pennsylvania)


Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

, . "Churchtown Mennonite Church (Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Churchtown_Mennonite_Church_(Carlisle,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=91449.

APA style

, . (1953). Churchtown Mennonite Church (Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Churchtown_Mennonite_Church_(Carlisle,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=91449.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 602. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.