, was the location of Civilian Public Service
Camp No. 24, consisting of five units operated conjointly by the Mennonite Central Committee
(MCC) and the Brethren Service Committee. Units 1, 3, and 4 were administered by the MCC. The three MCC units were located on farms in the northern part of the Cumberland Valley in Washington County
, Maryland. The farms were owned by agencies of the MCC constituent churches. Each unit had approximately 35 men, whose work was in the area of soil conservation. During 1944 two special schools were held at Unit 4, which was located about five miles north of Clear Spring. These were the Farm and Community School and the Christian Workers' School. Unit 24 was approved by Selective Service in December 1941 and closed in September 1946.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hagerstown,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94158.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hagerstown,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94158.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 627. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.