From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
Poverty". Scan courtesy  
 
Poverty". Scan courtesy  
  
[http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA <br/> Archives-Goshen]IX-13-2-2 [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA <br/> Archives-Goshen]IX-13-2-2 [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA <br/> Archives-Goshen]IX-13-2-2 [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA <br/> Archives-Goshen]IX-13-2-2 [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA <br/> Archives-Goshen] Mennonite Church USA  
+
[http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA  
  
Archives-Goshen IX-13-2-2  
+
Archives-Goshen ]IX-13-2-2'']]    Hill City<strong> </strong>[[Civilian Public Service|Civilian Public Service]] Camp No. 57 was located 16 miles northwest of Hill City, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. Under the Bureau of Reclamation, the camp had as its chief project the construction of Deerfield Dam for the purpose of furnishing a plentiful water supply for Rapid City and for furnishing a supplemental water supply for 12,000 acres of irrigated land in the valley downstream from Rapid City. Camp No. 57, operated by the [[Mennonite Central Committee United States|Mennonite Central Committee]], was approved 23 September 1942, and was closed 28 February 1946. It had a capacity of 200 men. During 41 months the [[Conscientious Objection|conscientious objectors]] assigned to the camp spent 50,726 man-hours on the dam and when the camp was closed the project was 97 per cent complete. Deerfield Dam is in one sense a "Monument to Peace." In 1946 the men of the camp published a 60-page book presenting in pictures and text the history of CPS No. 57, under the title <em>The Voice of Peace.</em>
 
+
'']]    Hill City<strong> </strong>[[Civilian Public Service|Civilian Public Service]] Camp No. 57 was located 16 miles northwest of Hill City, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. Under the Bureau of Reclamation, the camp had as its chief project the construction of Deerfield Dam for the purpose of furnishing a plentiful water supply for Rapid City and for furnishing a supplemental water supply for 12,000 acres of irrigated land in the valley downstream from Rapid City. Camp No. 57, operated by the [[Mennonite Central Committee United States|Mennonite Central Committee]], was approved 23 September 1942, and was closed 28 February 1946. It had a capacity of 200 men. During 41 months the [[Conscientious Objection|conscientious objectors]] assigned to the camp spent 50,726 man-hours on the dam and when the camp was closed the project was 97 per cent complete. Deerfield Dam is in one sense a "Monument to Peace." In 1946 the men of the camp published a 60-page book presenting in pictures and text the history of CPS No. 57, under the title <em>The Voice of Peace.</em>
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Gingerich, Melvin. <em>Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service</em>. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 162-168.
 
Gingerich, Melvin. <em>Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service</em>. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 162-168.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 741|date=1956|a1_last=Gingerich|a1_first=Melvin|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 741|date=1956|a1_last=Gingerich|a1_first=Melvin|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 14:38, 23 August 2013

CPS men taking class on "Progress and Poverty". Scan courtesy [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen ]IX-13-2-2
Hill City Civilian Public Service Camp No. 57 was located 16 miles northwest of Hill City, South Dakota. Under the Bureau of Reclamation, the camp had as its chief project the construction of Deerfield Dam for the purpose of furnishing a plentiful water supply for Rapid City and for furnishing a supplemental water supply for 12,000 acres of irrigated land in the valley downstream from Rapid City. Camp No. 57, operated by the Mennonite Central Committee, was approved 23 September 1942, and was closed 28 February 1946. It had a capacity of 200 men. During 41 months the conscientious objectors assigned to the camp spent 50,726 man-hours on the dam and when the camp was closed the project was 97 per cent complete. Deerfield Dam is in one sense a "Monument to Peace." In 1946 the men of the camp published a 60-page book presenting in pictures and text the history of CPS No. 57, under the title The Voice of Peace.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 162-168.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hill_City,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95244.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hill_City,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95244.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 741. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.