CPS camp #64, ca. 1943. Scan courtesy Mennonite Church USA Archives-North Newton 2003-0193
Terry Civilian Public Service
Camp No. 64 was opened near Terry, Montana
, 15 January 1943, and was closed 30 June 1946. Under the Bureau of Reclamation and the Farm Security Administration, and operated by the Mennonite Central Committee
, Camp Terry helped to develop the Buffalo Rapids irrigation project to improve about 30,000 acres in the level valley of the Yellowstone River. More than 280 men from twenty-two states worked in Camp Terry during its three years of operation. A farm and community school was held in the camp during the winter of 1944-45. An illustrated book, This Is Our Story
, was produced by the campers in 1944.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 169-176.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Terry, Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Terry,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=91461.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Civilian Public Service Camp (Terry, Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Terry,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=91461.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 697. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.