From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
See [[Northwest Community Church (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada)|Northwest Community Church (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada)]]
 
See [[Northwest Community Church (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada)|Northwest Community Church (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada)]]
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Canadian Mennonite</em> (2 January 1959): 3.
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Canadian Mennonite</em> (2 January 1959): 3.
  
 
Penner, Peter. <em class="gameo_bibliography">No Longer at Arm's Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada.</em> Winnipeg, MB: Kindred Press, 1987: 67-68.
 
Penner, Peter. <em class="gameo_bibliography">No Longer at Arm's Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada.</em> Winnipeg, MB: Kindred Press, 1987: 67-68.
 
 
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<h3>Original Article from Mennonite Encyclopedia</h3> Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from <em>Mennonite Encyclopedia</em>, Vol. 1, p. 662. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the <span class="link-external">[http://www.heraldpress.com/ Herald Press website]</span>.
 
<h3>Original Article from Mennonite Encyclopedia</h3> Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from <em>Mennonite Encyclopedia</em>, Vol. 1, p. 662. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the <span class="link-external">[http://www.heraldpress.com/ Herald Press website]</span>.
  
Compass Mennonite Brethren Church, formerly known as the Northern Evangelical Church, located northwest of Meadow Lake, Sask., or approximately 250 miles northwest of Saskatoon, is a member of the Canadian Conference of the M. B. Church. The church was organized in 1938 under the leadership of Frank Janzen, with 12 members. Its (1953) minister is David Nickel, and the church as a membership of 28. 
+
Compass Mennonite Brethren Church, formerly known as the Northern Evangelical Church, located northwest of Meadow Lake, Sask., or approximately 250 miles northwest of Saskatoon, is a member of the Canadian Conference of the M. B. Church. The church was organized in 1938 under the leadership of Frank Janzen, with 12 members. Its (1953) minister is David Nickel, and the church as a membership of 28.
 
+
 
+
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=February 2012|a1_last=Epp|a1_first=Marlene|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=February 2012|a1_last=Epp|a1_first=Marlene|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}

Latest revision as of 19:42, 20 August 2013

Compass, Saskatchewan. In 1938 there were 12 members; in 1950, 26. The congregation discontinued in 1958. 

The Compass Mennonite Brethren congregation formally organized in 1938 with Frank Janzen as the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by the Mennonite Brethren conference. It was affiliated with the Saskatchewan Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches and General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in 1951.

The group was earlier known as Northern Evangelical Church. The church was on the verge of closing when the David Nickel family arrived in 1950. They helped to rejuvenate the congregation, and repairs were made to the church building. Arno Fast, a teacher, moved the Compass church to Rapid View when a new Mennonite Brethren mission was established there in 1957. In the 1961 the congregation purchased a Lutheran Church in Meadow Lake, and moved there. At the same time the local Baptist church moved to Loon Lake, so some of the Baptist members joined the Mennonite Brethren church in Rapid View.

See Northwest Community Church (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada)

Contents

[edit] Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (2 January 1959): 3.

Penner, Peter. No Longer at Arm's Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada. Winnipeg, MB: Kindred Press, 1987: 67-68.

[edit] Additional Information

Original Article from Mennonite Encyclopedia

Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 662. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

Compass Mennonite Brethren Church, formerly known as the Northern Evangelical Church, located northwest of Meadow Lake, Sask., or approximately 250 miles northwest of Saskatoon, is a member of the Canadian Conference of the M. B. Church. The church was organized in 1938 under the leadership of Frank Janzen, with 12 members. Its (1953) minister is David Nickel, and the church as a membership of 28.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Sam Steiner
Date Published February 2012


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Compass Mennonite Brethren Church (Compass, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Compass_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Compass,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=86886.

APA style

Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (February 2012). Compass Mennonite Brethren Church (Compass, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Compass_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Compass,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=86886.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.