Corn Bible Academy was established by the Corn Mennonite Brethren Church in 1902 at Corn, Oklahoma, as a Bible and language school, under the name of "Washita Gemeinde Schule." From 1902 to 1906 it had a children's department and also a young people's department with separate instruction. Then until 1919 it was conducted only for young people with one instructor and a three-year course. In 1920 the curriculum was expanded and two teachers employed until 1934, when it was fully accredited with the state of Oklahoma and more instructors were added to the staff. Since that time the school experienced a normal but steady growth till by 1954 the school had six full-time instructors and one part-rime instructor. Each student was required to take a Bible subject each semester plus the four units of high-school work.
The new building (the third building since its founding) erected in 1945-1948 included a 300-seat auditorium, a 1,750-volume library, and a study hall. Building plans called for the erection of another wing, thus adding four more classrooms. The 95 students enrolled in 1954 came from the local church and the Mennonite Brethren churches of Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas with J. W. Vogt as superintendent. The superintendents who served the school to the 1950s, with their lengths of service, have been: D. J. Klassen, 1902-1904; D. L. Schellenberg, 1904-1905; J. F. Duerksen, 1905-1911; D. F. Straus, 1916-1918; H. D. Wiebe, 1919-1937; L. S. Wiebe, 1937-1941; H. R. Wiens, 1941-1946; B. P. Pauls, 1946-1947; J. P. Kliewer, 1947-1948; Leo Goentzel, 1948-1949; and J. W. Vogt, 1949-mid-1950s. During the years 1911-1912 and 1918-1919 the school did not operate, the first time because of lack of funds, and the second time because of the World War I situation.
In 2007 Corn Bible Academy offered courses from grades 7-12. It described itself as an inter-denominational Christian school founded by the Mennonite Brethren Church. Its board of 10 members had four nominated from the membership of theCorn Mennonite Brethren Church, two members nominated from the Cordell Bible Mennonite Brethren Church, and four members nominated at-large by the board itself. Corn Bible Academy in 2007 had 25 faculty and staff, and an enrollment of 100 students.
Corn Bible Academy. "About Us." August 2007. http://www.cornbible.org/about_us.htm (Accessed 23 July 2008)
Address: 208 North Reimer, Corn, Oklahoma
Website: Corn Bible Academy
|Author(s)||J. W. Vogt|
|Date Published||July 2008|
Cite This Article
Vogt, J. W. and Sam Steiner. "Corn Bible Academy (Corn, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2008. Web. 25 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Corn_Bible_Academy_(Corn,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=63078.
Vogt, J. W. and Sam Steiner. (July 2008). Corn Bible Academy (Corn, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Corn_Bible_Academy_(Corn,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=63078.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.