Cove Mennonite Church (initially known as Cove Mennonite Mission Church) (Mennonite Church), east of Mathias, West Virginia, under the Virginia Mennonite Conference, probably started in 1876 or earlier as an outgrowth of the work at Powder Spring, five miles (eight km) east in Shenandoah County, Virginia. Early work in connection with this station was carried on at the Basore and Hinegardner schoolhouses located two and six miles respectively north of the Whitmer schoolhouse, where services were held once a month. The 1948 membership was eight.
The Whitmer School was built about 1904, and closed as a school in 1940. It continued to serve the church after that date. In 2004 the building was sawn into thirds and moved to the Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center near Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center. "The Whitmer Schoolhouse/Cove Church Move." http://www.vbmhc.org/news/2004/04covesch/covesch.shtml (Accessed 29 July 2008)
 Cite This Article
Showalter, Timothy. "Cove Mennonite Church (Mathias, West Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cove_Mennonite_Church_(Mathias,_West_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117278.
Showalter, Timothy. (1953). Cove Mennonite Church (Mathias, West Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cove_Mennonite_Church_(Mathias,_West_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117278.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.