Crossview Church (Grabill, Indiana, USA)
Crossview Church (formerly Grabill Mennonite Church) (Fellowship of Evangelical Churches, formerly Evangelical Mennonite Church), Grabill, Indiana, had its beginning in 1866 when Bishop Henry Egly withdrew from the Amish Mennonites in Adams County, Indiana, and formed a new church. He influenced similar withdrawals in other communities, among which was one in Allen County, Indiana. These groups became known as the Egly Mennonites and formed a conference body which in 1908 took out a charter in Illinois designating themselves as the Defenseless Mennonite Church of North America. In 1948 the name was changed to the Evangelical Mennonite Church.
The church in Allen County, Indiana, built its first meetinghouse 1.25 miles east of Leo on the Leo-Harlan Road; about the year 1875 and was known as the Leo Mennonite Church. In 1912 the congregation built a new structure 1.5 miles further east in the town of Grabill. This building was remodeled in 1938 and was then designated as the Mennonite Church of Grabill. Here it attained an active membership of about 135 members in the 1950s.
The Grabill Mennonite Church took the name Crossview Church in October 2006 in light the denomination's name change in 2003.
Roth, Donald. "From Grabill to Crossview: A Historical Journey." FEC Connections (Fall 2006): 3. Accessed 14 April 2008 <http://fecministries.org/newsletter/FEConnections_Fall06.pdf>
13313 Indiana Street
|Author(s)||Jerry H Sauder|
Cite This Article
Sauder, Jerry H. "Crossview Church (Grabill, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 17 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crossview_Church_(Grabill,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=63196.
Sauder, Jerry H. (1956). Crossview Church (Grabill, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crossview_Church_(Grabill,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=63196.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.