Dück, Gerhard Gerhard (1863-1949)
Gerhard Gerhard Dück (Dueck), a Russian Mennonite minister, was born 9 September 1863 in Schönau, a Mennonite village in South Russia. He was the oldest son of Gerhard Gerhard Dück (1835-1873), a tailor, and Anna (Kliewer) Dück (1840-1882). He attended the Zentralschule in Orloff for four years, and then taught the village school in Fürstenwerder. The date and place of his baptism are not known. He married Justina Penner (b. 19 February 1866), and became the teacher in Schardau, where their only child, Elizabeth, was born (2 September 1891). In 1894 they moved to Zagradovka. He taught a village school in Nikolaifeld until 1898. Then the family moved to Ufa and took up farming. On 30 June 1902 he was ordained to the ministry by Johann Schartner of Alexanderwohl. In 1910 he resigned from this office, sold his farm, and in 1911 moved to Slavgorod, in the Slavgorod settlement in Siberia. His wife died there in the same year. In the following year he married Helena Toews (b. 26 December 1883), a deaconess in Bethania. This marriage was blessed with three sons and two daughters. In 1923 Dück and his wife moved to the home of their daughter Elizabeth in Goloshevo, Ufa, and in 1924 they went on to Blumstein in South Russia. Though his daughter Elizabeth and his brother and sister succeeded in immigrating to Canada, he was unable to do so on account of eye trouble. For a number of years they lived in a Russian village in Samara. On 27 February 1949, nearly deaf and blind, he died.
Cite This Article
Enns, Elizabeth. "Dück, Gerhard Gerhard (1863-1949)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=D%C3%BCck,_Gerhard_Gerhard_(1863-1949)&oldid=63510.
Enns, Elizabeth. (1956). Dück, Gerhard Gerhard (1863-1949). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=D%C3%BCck,_Gerhard_Gerhard_(1863-1949)&oldid=63510.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 106. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.