Dürksen, Heinrich (1910-2001)
Heinrich Dürksen was born 31 May 1910 in the Terek region of the Caucasus of Russia to Johann and Katharina Heinrichs Duerksen. Heinrich Dürksen spent his youth in the village of Menlertschik, Crimea, where he was baptized upon confession of faith in 1928. In 1929 he and his family fled to Kiel, Germany. From there they immigrated to the Chaco of Paraguay, arriving in 1930. The family located in the village of Schonwiese, Fernheim Colony. Heinrich was elected a minister in the Mennonite church (GCM). On 25 October 1932 he married Sara Kibler. They became the parents of 10 children.
From 1941 to 1944 Heinrich served as administrator of the mission station Yalve Sanga (Licht den Indianem). In 1946 he was elected to the administrative council of Fernheim Colony; in 1949 he became Oberschulze (executive officer) for the colony. He served in the latter capacity for 20 years, 1949-1957, 1962-1970, and 1977-1979. In 1953 Dürksen traveled to North America together with Kornelius Walde to secure credits for colony development, which led to the development of a creamery, other industrial developments, and the purchase of the first tractors for the Chaco. Heinrich Dürksen's interest was concentrated on the development and stabilizing of the economic life of the colony and the furthering of missionary activity (Chaco mission). Following his retirement as administrator he served on the board of Licht den Indianem (Light to the Indians). He died on 29 August 2001 in Filadelfia.
Cite This Article
Wiens, Peter. "Dürksen, Heinrich (1910-2001)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2013. Web. 22 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=D%C3%BCrksen,_Heinrich_(1910-2001)&oldid=141091.
Wiens, Peter. (2013). Dürksen, Heinrich (1910-2001). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=D%C3%BCrksen,_Heinrich_(1910-2001)&oldid=141091.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 249. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.