Dallas Mennonite Brethren Church, located at the corner of Washington and Hayter streets in Dallas, Polk County, Oregon, was a member of the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. The church, an outgrowth of the North Dallas Mennonite Brethren Church, which had started in 1905, was organized under the leadership of Abraham Buhler on 21 December 1919. In 1934 the first church was replaced by a new structure, which was remodeled in 1949. Its parsonage at 518 Hayter St. was procured in 1944.
On 7 January 1923 the North Dallas Mennonite Brethren Church membership was received into the Dallas church. With population increase in the Willamette Valley, the church membership increased. Some members who lived in Salem organized the West Salem Mennonite Brethren Church (later known as Kingwood Bible Church) in 1941. Membership of the Dallas church peaked in the mid-1950s at about 350, but went into a steady decline after that time. The church closed in 2004.
Ministers who have served the church include D. A. Peters, John Enns, P. H. Berg, Abraham Buhler, P. E. Penner, Frank F. Friesen, Herman D. Wiebe, F. F. Wall, N. N. Hiebert, J. J. Toews, Henry Hooge, George H. Jantzen, W. L. Penner, D. J. Wiens, Arthur Flaming, Louis Goertz, Eugene Gerbrandt, Stanley Lyman, Glen Makin, Bob Buxman and Ken Braun.
|Author(s)||G. H. Jantzen|
Cite This Article
Jantzen, G. H. and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Dallas Mennonite Brethren Church (Dallas, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2007. Web. 20 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dallas_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Dallas,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=86996.
Jantzen, G. H. and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (2007). Dallas Mennonite Brethren Church (Dallas, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dallas_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Dallas,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=86996.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.