When Lancaster County
was formed in 1729, Peshtank and Derry townships took in most of the present Dauphin County, which was not organized until 4 May 1785. When the Lancaster-Harris Ferry Road was laid out in 1737, many Mennonites moved into this area, among them Andrew Hershey, Felix Landis, Jr., the Nissleys, Reesers, Mummas and Stricklers. The Stauffer congregation existed as early as 1780. In 1954 the congregations in the county were Stauffer
, Strickler and Steelton
, with a total membership of 278. Noah W. Risser and Clarence E. Lutz were the bishops in charge of these churches at that time. In addition to the local ministry, the rural congregations early were served by ministers traveling to Juniata County
and points west and southwest.
|| Ira D Landis
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 30 Apr 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dauphin_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=63239.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 April 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dauphin_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=63239.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 17. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.