The curriculum was enriched by the addition of a wide range of electives including art, bookkeeping, typewriting, German, oral expression, chemistry, home economics, youth guidance, and physics, as well as additional courses in history and mathematics. Seventeen units, including two units of Bible work, were required for graduation from the first.
An effort was made to retain the values of the high-school course in spite of an increased enrollment and emphasis in the college department of the school. Separate meetings in various types of activities were provided for the two groups. The Young People’s Christian Association has been reorganized to give high-school students more responsibility in the form of leadership and committee work. The high-school enrollment in 1954-55 was 224. In 2004-2005 there were 327 students in grades 6-12.
Eastern Mennonite School. "History." Accessed 7 August 2007. <http://www.emhs.net/EMHS-WEB/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=69>
Eastern Mennonite School website
|Author(s)||Harry A Brunk|
Cite This Article
Brunk, Harry A. "Eastern Mennonite School (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eastern_Mennonite_School_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=56071.
Brunk, Harry A. (1956). Eastern Mennonite School (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eastern_Mennonite_School_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=56071.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.