The Ebenfeld Mennonite Church was organized in Herschel in 1925. Eventually, four meeting places were established in Herschel, Superb, Fiske, and Glidden, with Glidden joining the Ebenfeld group in 1953. The meeting place was also known as Glidden-Kindersley. These were divided into four congregations in 1958 but still of the Ebenfeld "Gemeinde."
The group built their church on the property of H. J. Wiebe, the first leading minister of the group. In its early years the congregation was scattered, but as families began purchasing automobiles, this became less of an issue. Many families moved away in the 1930s, but those who remained were able to maintain an active congregation. Like other congregations throughout the Prairies, it was served by various Mennonite conference officials, Bible school and Bible college teachers, and missionaries.
The first minister of the congregation was H. J. Wiebe. After his retirement, C. J. Fast was the leader of the congregation from 1958 until its closure in 1972.
Krahn, Linda. "The Ebenfeld Mennonite Church," Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1965, 8 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Wiebe, H. H. "Memories of the Glidden-Kindersley Mennonite Church." Mennonite Historian XI, 2 (June 1985): 3.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Ebenfeld Mennonite Church (Glidden, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 2 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Glidden,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=87184.
Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Ebenfeld Mennonite Church (Glidden, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Glidden,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=87184.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.