From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Elizabethtown, a borough of 5,000 (in 1950) in northwestern [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was laid out by Barnabas Hughes in 1753 and named in honor of his wife, Elizabeth. The Harrisburg-Lancaster Pike, built in 1805, passed through the town, thus bringing the stage coaches and the six-horse [[Conestoga Wagon|Conestoga wagons]]. With [[Lancaster (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster]], Harrisburg, and Lebanon 18 miles away, the town was a prosperous trading center, A variety of industries, the State Crippled Children’s Home to the north, and also the Elizabethtown ([[Brethren Church|Church of the Brethren]]) College on the east side, make it a prominent, prosperous, and clean town for retired Mennonite farmers. The [[Elizabethtown Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Elizabethtown Mennonite Church]] was established here in 1905, with 223 members in 1953, and there are five other old established congregations in the vicinity, viz., [[Goods Mennonite Church (Bainbridge, Pennsylvania, USA)|Good’s]], [[Bossler Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Bossler’s]], Risser’s, [[Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Strickler’s]], and Stauffer’s, in addition to several mission stations, with a total of ca. 900 members more.
 
Elizabethtown, a borough of 5,000 (in 1950) in northwestern [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was laid out by Barnabas Hughes in 1753 and named in honor of his wife, Elizabeth. The Harrisburg-Lancaster Pike, built in 1805, passed through the town, thus bringing the stage coaches and the six-horse [[Conestoga Wagon|Conestoga wagons]]. With [[Lancaster (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster]], Harrisburg, and Lebanon 18 miles away, the town was a prosperous trading center, A variety of industries, the State Crippled Children’s Home to the north, and also the Elizabethtown ([[Brethren Church|Church of the Brethren]]) College on the east side, make it a prominent, prosperous, and clean town for retired Mennonite farmers. The [[Elizabethtown Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Elizabethtown Mennonite Church]] was established here in 1905, with 223 members in 1953, and there are five other old established congregations in the vicinity, viz., [[Goods Mennonite Church (Bainbridge, Pennsylvania, USA)|Good’s]], [[Bossler Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Bossler’s]], Risser’s, [[Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Strickler’s]], and Stauffer’s, in addition to several mission stations, with a total of ca. 900 members more.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania)|Map:Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania)]]
 
[[Map:Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania)|Map:Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, pp. 185-186|date=1956|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, pp. 185-186|date=1956|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 19:11, 20 August 2013

Elizabethtown, a borough of 5,000 (in 1950) in northwestern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was laid out by Barnabas Hughes in 1753 and named in honor of his wife, Elizabeth. The Harrisburg-Lancaster Pike, built in 1805, passed through the town, thus bringing the stage coaches and the six-horse Conestoga wagons. With Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Lebanon 18 miles away, the town was a prosperous trading center, A variety of industries, the State Crippled Children’s Home to the north, and also the Elizabethtown (Church of the Brethren) College on the east side, make it a prominent, prosperous, and clean town for retired Mennonite farmers. The Elizabethtown Mennonite Church was established here in 1905, with 223 members in 1953, and there are five other old established congregations in the vicinity, viz., Good’s, Bossler’s, Risser’s, Strickler’s, and Stauffer’s, in addition to several mission stations, with a total of ca. 900 members more.

[edit] Maps

Map:Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elizabethtown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80416.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1956). Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elizabethtown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80416.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 185-186. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.