From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Elkhart, [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] (population 35,000 in 1950; 52,700 in 2008), is a leading commercial and railroad center in northwest [[Elkhart County (Indiana, USA)|Elkhart County]], 100 miles (160 km) east of [[Chicago (Illinois, USA)|Chicago]], founded in 1832, seat of the [[Prairie Street Mennonite Church (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Prairie Street Mennonite Church]], the oldest city congregation of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]], established in 1871 (two daughter churches have since been established in the city, in addition to two [[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] congregations). Elkhart achieved importance as a strong center of life and activity for the Mennonite Church (MC), first through the establishment here of the [[Mennonite Publishing Company (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Mennonite Publishing Company]] by [[Funk, John Fretz (1835-1930)|John F. Funk]] in 1867, which was the publishing center for the Mennonite Church until 1908, then through the establishment of the headquarters office of the [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]] in 1892. From here the first foreign missionaries of the church were sent out in 1898 (to India), and here the first church school was established in 1894 as Elkhart Institute, which was moved to [[Goshen (Indiana, USA)|Goshen]] in 1903 to become [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen College]]. Elkhart was also the seat of the [[Bethel Publishing Company (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Bethel Publishing Company]] and Bookstore, the publishing agency of the United Missionary Church.
 
Elkhart, [[Indiana (USA)|Indiana]] (population 35,000 in 1950; 52,700 in 2008), is a leading commercial and railroad center in northwest [[Elkhart County (Indiana, USA)|Elkhart County]], 100 miles (160 km) east of [[Chicago (Illinois, USA)|Chicago]], founded in 1832, seat of the [[Prairie Street Mennonite Church (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Prairie Street Mennonite Church]], the oldest city congregation of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]], established in 1871 (two daughter churches have since been established in the city, in addition to two [[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] congregations). Elkhart achieved importance as a strong center of life and activity for the Mennonite Church (MC), first through the establishment here of the [[Mennonite Publishing Company (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Mennonite Publishing Company]] by [[Funk, John Fretz (1835-1930)|John F. Funk]] in 1867, which was the publishing center for the Mennonite Church until 1908, then through the establishment of the headquarters office of the [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]] in 1892. From here the first foreign missionaries of the church were sent out in 1898 (to India), and here the first church school was established in 1894 as Elkhart Institute, which was moved to [[Goshen (Indiana, USA)|Goshen]] in 1903 to become [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen College]]. Elkhart was also the seat of the [[Bethel Publishing Company (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)|Bethel Publishing Company]] and Bookstore, the publishing agency of the United Missionary Church.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Elkhart (Indiana)|Map:Elkhart (Indiana)]]
 
[[Map:Elkhart (Indiana)|Map:Elkhart (Indiana)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 186|date=1956|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S.|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 186|date=1956|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S.|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 19:11, 20 August 2013

Elkhart, Indiana (population 35,000 in 1950; 52,700 in 2008), is a leading commercial and railroad center in northwest Elkhart County, 100 miles (160 km) east of Chicago, founded in 1832, seat of the Prairie Street Mennonite Church, the oldest city congregation of the Mennonite Church (MC), established in 1871 (two daughter churches have since been established in the city, in addition to two United Missionary Church congregations). Elkhart achieved importance as a strong center of life and activity for the Mennonite Church (MC), first through the establishment here of the Mennonite Publishing Company by John F. Funk in 1867, which was the publishing center for the Mennonite Church until 1908, then through the establishment of the headquarters office of the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities in 1892. From here the first foreign missionaries of the church were sent out in 1898 (to India), and here the first church school was established in 1894 as Elkhart Institute, which was moved to Goshen in 1903 to become Goshen College. Elkhart was also the seat of the Bethel Publishing Company and Bookstore, the publishing agency of the United Missionary Church.

[edit] Maps

Map:Elkhart (Indiana)


Author(s) Harold S. Bender
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S.. "Elkhart (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80420.

APA style

Bender, Harold S.. (1956). Elkhart (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80420.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 186. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.