From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:11, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Elkton Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), now extinct, located in Hickory County, Missouri, was established in 1868 by settlers from Berne, Indiana, and a few from Wayne County, Ohio. It participated in the sessions of the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1884, 1887, and 1890, but had died out by 1896. The leader of the settlement was the preacher P. S. Lehman from Berne, who continued to serve to the end, when he moved back to Berne in 1896. Some of the congregation moved to the Bethel Church in Morgan County, Missouri, others back to Berne. By 1910 practically no Mennonites were left in the settlement.

Bibliography

Krehbiel, H. P. History of the General Conference of the Mennonite Church of North America. 2 vols. Canton and Newton, 1898, 1938.

Gratz, Delbert. Bernese Anabaptists. Scottdale, 1953: 164 f.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Elkton Mennonite Church (Hickory County, Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkton_Mennonite_Church_(Hickory_County,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=80424.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Elkton Mennonite Church (Hickory County, Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkton_Mennonite_Church_(Hickory_County,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=80424.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 189. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.