Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Elm River Hutterite Bruderhof (Schmiedeleut), one mile west of Newton, Manitoba, was founded in 1934 by Preacher Zacharias Hofer and ten families from the Rosedale Bruderhof near Elie, Manitoba. They bought land and built houses and barns. Zacharias Hofer, who was born in Russia, died in 1936. In 1935 David Hofer was chosen minister. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 153 souls.

In 2012 the Elm River Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 1 colony. The minister was Ruben Hofer and the manager was Harold Hofer.

Additional Information

Location: Newton Siding, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.942222, -98.102778 [49° 56' 32" N, 98° 06' 10" W])

Address: Box 1060, Newton Siding, MB R0H 0X0

Phone: 204-267-2857

Maps

Map:Elm River Hutterite Colony, Newton, Manitoba


Author(s) David Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published March 2013


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 25 Jul 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elm_River_Hutterite_Colony_(Newton,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=148551.

APA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elm_River_Hutterite_Colony_(Newton,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=148551.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 190. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.