The First Mennonite Church for the Deaf in the Lancaster Mennonite Conference was begun under authorization of the Lancaster board of bishops in the fall of 1945, with J. Paul Graybill and Aaron H. Weaver in charge. By 29 December 1946, Rossmere meetinghouse in Lancaster city was used for this purpose every second Saturday evening. Soon Reuben Stoltzfus became Aaron Weaver's associate. In 1949 Israel D. Rohrer was ordained as pastor. By 1951 they also used the second floor of the Mellinger meetinghouse. By 1953 Sunday school at the latter place was added. On 18 August 1956, George A. Uhler was ordained to assist. A new meetinghouse for this work, located off the Lincoln Highway East, six miles (10 km.) east of Lancaster, was dedicated on 12 May 1957. With Rohrer and Uhler as pastors and Elmer G. Martin as bishop, the membership in 1958 was 15, with a Sunday school of 34, and a summer Bible school at Roxbury, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, of 94. The basement of the meetinghouse east of Lancaster was being used for the Lancaster Mennonite Conference Information Center in 1958-59, a project under the Eastern Board of Missions and Charities.
Address: 2270 Old Philadelphia Pike, Lancaster, PA 17602
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "First Deaf Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 8 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Deaf_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116271.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). First Deaf Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Deaf_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116271.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.