Sugarcreek First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) of Sugarcreek, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, was organized as a congregation in the Middle District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church) in 1926 with 84 charter members under the leadership of Lester Hostetler. The group had withdrawn from the Walnut Creek (Mennonite Church) congregation of the Ohio and Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference. The first meetinghouse here was erected in 1894 as a community church, services being conducted by the United Brethren and Reformed churches. Later the Church of the Brethren also met here. Additions were built in 1912 and 1928. In 1914 both the United Brethren and the Reformed congregations withdrew to meetinghouses of their own; the Church of the Brethren and the Mennonites used it for services each Sunday until 1956, when the Mennonites purchased the Brethren interest in the building and are now erecting a new church. The membership in 1957 was 250, with Harold D. Thieszen as pastor.
 Additional Information
Address: 217 West Main Street, Sugarcreek, OH 44681.
|Author(s)||Wm. H S.|
 Cite This Article
S., Wm. H. "First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Sugarcreek,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104314.
S., Wm. H. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Sugarcreek,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104314.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.