The rationale for locating the church on Pembina Highway was twofold. First was accessibility. Increasingly people no longer walked but traveled to church by car, and therefore locating it on a main thoroughfare would be an attractive feature, as has been the case. Second, the lot on South Pembina Highway was close to the University of Manitoba. This feature offered students in general and youth from southern Manitoba a convenient place for fellowship and worship.
Since its inception the Fort Garry MB Church has held a special attraction for youth and students. Hence College and Career and youth ministries have always been a high priority. In later years, many of these men and women have served at home and abroad in Mennonite Central Committee, Mennonite Brethren Missions and Service International and other church-related ministries.
Although the congregation was spared the language struggles of earlier years, it did not escape the divisive issues related to worship style, especially the traditional versus contemporary approaches to church music. Over time a generally accepted compromise was found, without serious damage to church harmony and fellowship.
Since its inception the church has been affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches and the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. Its pastors and members have been active on many of the committees and boards of all three conferences.
Currently the congregation is well advanced in a consultative process to determine the best approach to expanding its ministries, either through enlargement of present facilities or daughtering one or more churches or a combination of both. The process continues.
On two occasions the congregation celebrated significant anniversaries with banquets and special services: on 26 November 1988 after 25 years of ministry and on 15 and 16 November 2003 following 40 years of God’s faithfulness.
The Fort Garry MB Church participated in the establishment of three other MB churches in Winnipeg. In 1979 several members from western Winnipeg joined the group that founded the Westwood Community MB Church; in 1978 Fort Garry daughtered the St. Vital MB Church and in 2003 the senior and associate pastors left Fort Garry with a sizeable group of members to establish the Faithworks MB Church in the River Heights area of the city.
Canadian Mennonite (9 December 1955): 1,3; (20 May 1960): 16; (10 December 1963): 4.
Klassen, Bill (William). “Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church: A Portrait.” Unpublished. 1984.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 45.
Mennonite Observer (24 July 1959): 12; (11 September 1959): 3.
Siemens, Leonard. “Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church: Celebrating its 25 th Anniversary on 20 November, 1988: A Historical Sketch.” Unpublished.
Archival Records:Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg MB: Vols. 481-482, Reels 81-82.
Address: 1771 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg MB R3T 2G6
Website: Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church
Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church Pastoral Leaders
|John M. Schmidt||1956-1959|
|Jacob J. Toews||1960-1962|
|John M. Schmidt||1962-1963|
|V. George Shillington (interim)||2002-2003|
Fort Garry Mennonite Mennonite Church Membership*
|Date Published||March 2012|
Cite This Article
Siemens, Leonard. "Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 25 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Garry_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87544.
Siemens, Leonard. (March 2012). Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Garry_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87544.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.