Gantz-Hernley Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), of the vicinity of Manheim, Pennsylvania, a member of Lancaster Mennonite Conference, worshipped in two meetinghouses. The Gantz meetinghouse, a brick building 40 x 60 ft., located 3.5 miles (six km) northwest of Manheim, was built in 1915 on the site of the first church, which had been purchased in 1880. The Hernley church was built one mile (two km) north of Manheim in 1745 on land contributed by the Penns and was enlarged in 1919. In the early 1950s Sunday school and worship services were held every Sunday alternately in the two churches. The membership in 1955 was 256; the ministers were Abram M. Risser and Clyde L. Metzler; the deacons were Isaac E. Tyson and John R. Nissley; the bishop in charge was Homer D. Bomberger. An early division resulted in a considerable loss into the Church of the Brethren.
Later the congregation became two separate congregations -- Hernley Mennonite Church and Gantz Mennonite Church (by the late 1980s known as Grace Community Fellowship.)
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Hernley Mennonite Church (Manheim, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hernley_Mennonite_Church_(Manheim,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=56566.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Hernley Mennonite Church (Manheim, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hernley_Mennonite_Church_(Manheim,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=56566.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.