From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[File:MD_Garrett.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Garrett County, Maryland  
 
[[File:MD_Garrett.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Garrett County, Maryland  
  
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map  
+
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map '']]    The Garrett County ([[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]]) [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] Settlement. Garrett County is in western Maryland bordering Somerset County, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. The settlement consisting of about 75 communicant members in 1955 was located several miles south of Oakland. The first to locate there came probably sometime before 1850; among them were the families of Pfeil, Gortner, and [[Miller family|Miller]] from [[Germany|Germany]], and [[Jutzi (Judtzi, Judzy, Yutzy) family|Yutzy]], [[Schlabach family|Slabach]], Selder, [[Beachey (Beachy, Beechy, Bitsche, Bitschi, Peachey, Peachy) family |Beachey]], Gnagey, Schrock, and Petersheim from Somerset and Cambria counties, Pennsylvania. The congregation was probably organized in 1855. Through the preaching of [[Holdeman, John (1832-1900)|John Holdeman]] several families left, including two preachers. Daniel Beachey was the first bishop in the congregation. After his death in 1897, bishops from the Somerset churches served the congregation until 1908. Lewis M. Beachey, the bishop in 1955, was ordained at that time. The settlement always considered itself as one church district, even though in the early days of the settlement several families lived about ten miles (16 km) west of Oakland, near Aurora and Eglon, [[West Virginia (USA)|West Virginia]]. The congregation worshiped regularly in a meetinghouse built in 1949.
 
+
'']]    The Garrett County ([[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]]) [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] Settlement. Garrett County is in western Maryland bordering Somerset County, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. The settlement consisting of about 75 communicant members in 1955 was located several miles south of Oakland. The first to locate there came probably sometime before 1850; among them were the families of Pfeil, Gortner, and [[Miller family|Miller]] from [[Germany|Germany]], and [[Jutzi (Judtzi, Judzy, Yutzy) family|Yutzy]], [[Schlabach family|Slabach]], Selder, [[Beachey (Beachy, Beechy, Bitsche, Bitschi, Peachey, Peachy) family |Beachey]], Gnagey, Schrock, and Petersheim from Somerset and Cambria counties, Pennsylvania. The congregation was probably organized in 1855. Through the preaching of [[Holdeman, John (1832-1900)|John Holdeman]] several families left, including two preachers. Daniel Beachey was the first bishop in the congregation. After his death in 1897, bishops from the Somerset churches served the congregation until 1908. Lewis M. Beachey, the bishop in 1955, was ordained at that time. The settlement always considered itself as one church district, even though in the early days of the settlement several families lived about ten miles (16 km) west of Oakland, near Aurora and Eglon, [[West Virginia (USA)|West Virginia]]. The congregation worshiped regularly in a meetinghouse built in 1949.
+
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 439|date=1956|a1_last=Beachey|a1_first=Lewis M|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 439|date=1956|a1_last=Beachey|a1_first=Lewis M|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 14:02, 23 August 2013

Garrett County, Maryland U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
The Garrett County (Maryland) Old Order Amish Settlement. Garrett County is in western Maryland bordering Somerset County, Pennsylvania. The settlement consisting of about 75 communicant members in 1955 was located several miles south of Oakland. The first to locate there came probably sometime before 1850; among them were the families of Pfeil, Gortner, and Miller from Germany, and Yutzy, Slabach, Selder, Beachey, Gnagey, Schrock, and Petersheim from Somerset and Cambria counties, Pennsylvania. The congregation was probably organized in 1855. Through the preaching of John Holdeman several families left, including two preachers. Daniel Beachey was the first bishop in the congregation. After his death in 1897, bishops from the Somerset churches served the congregation until 1908. Lewis M. Beachey, the bishop in 1955, was ordained at that time. The settlement always considered itself as one church district, even though in the early days of the settlement several families lived about ten miles (16 km) west of Oakland, near Aurora and Eglon, West Virginia. The congregation worshiped regularly in a meetinghouse built in 1949.


Author(s) Lewis M Beachey
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Beachey, Lewis M. "Garrett County Old Order Amish Settlement (Garrett County, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 30 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Garrett_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Garrett_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=91851.

APA style

Beachey, Lewis M. (1956). Garrett County Old Order Amish Settlement (Garrett County, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Garrett_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Garrett_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=91851.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 439. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.