Glen Allen is a small village in Peel Township, Wellington County, six miles (ten km) west of the northern boundary of Waterloo County, Ont. In the fall of 1892, according to the Herold der Wahrheit, a meeting (Mennonite Church) was organized here with Waterloo County ministers serving every four weeks. Resident families were Ernst, Reist, Selts, Weber, and Groff. A few years later a church came into use in the village. In 1893 Joseph Nahrgang and Noah Stauffer filled the appointments, the meetings alternating with those in the adjacent Maryboro Township.Communion was served for several years. By 1905 most of the families returned to Waterloo County and meetings discontinued. In 1900 there were about 50 members.
It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario since 1892. The language of worship was German.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 128.
Weber, Linda. "A Brief History of Bethel, Berea, Moorefield, Glen Allan, and Listowel." Research paper, Conrad Grebel College, 1971, 37 pp.
Mennonites in Canada collection, "1830-Moorefield," Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
|Author(s)||Joseph C. Fretz|
|Date Published||September 1989|
 Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Glen Allan Preaching appointment (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1989. Web. 28 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glen_Allan_Preaching_appointment_(Wallenstein,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114459.
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (September 1989). Glen Allan Preaching appointment (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glen_Allan_Preaching_appointment_(Wallenstein,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114459.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.