The Goessel Preparatory School (Gemeindeschule), located at Goessel, Kansas, was established by the Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church in 1906. The school was responsible to a board composed of members of the congregation. When the Tabor and Goessel Mennonite churches were founded they had representatives on the board and joined in the support of the school. The first teacher was P. P. Buller, 1906-1924. In 1912 he was joined by J. J. Banman, 1912-1926. In 1925-1926 O. K. Galle was principal. The aim of the school was to teach Bible and German, and to stimulate the talents of the pupils. The curriculum was similar to that of the preparatory schools in general. In 1926 the school was changed to Goessel Rural High School, a public school religious instruction was continued in the high-school program.
The enrollment of the Gossel Preparatory School ranged from 40 to 50 pupils. A total of 260 pupils was graduated from the two-year course. Its building was later moved to the Bethel College campus for use as a dormitory, where it was known as Goessel Hall.
Jahresheft Goessel Vereinsschule (1906-1926).
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Goessel Preparatory School (Goessel, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 4 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goessel_Preparatory_School_(Goessel,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=64443.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Goessel Preparatory School (Goessel, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goessel_Preparatory_School_(Goessel,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=64443.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.