Golden Rule Bookstore was a branch bookstore of the Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania in Kitchener, Ontario. It was purchased of A. J. Schultz in April 1938. In November 1951 it was moved from 256 King Street East to a new building on 187 King Street East, Kitchener. Managers included J. C. Fretz 1938-1953, John W. Snyder, Aaron Klassen, Delford Zehr and Judith Jutzi.
A second Canadian branch bookstore by the same name and under the same manager was established at 32014 Dundas Street, London, Ontario in 1955.
In 1963 the name of both stores changed to Provident Bookstore (along with other Mennonite Publishing House-owned bookstores). Although at one time there were five branches of Provident Bookstore in Southwestern Ontario (Kitchener (2), Cambridge (1), London (2), increasing competition from large book chains resulted in gradual closing of the all the stores. The primary Kitchener-Waterloo store relocated to a Waterloo location near the universities. In 1991 this store was sold to a group of local mostly Mennonite investors in Waterloo Region in 1991. This store eventually closed in 2000.
|Author(s)||Harold S. Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. "Golden Rule Bookstore (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 9 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Golden_Rule_Bookstore_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=130405.
Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. (2008). Golden Rule Bookstore (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 9 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Golden_Rule_Bookstore_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=130405.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.