From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Gortner Union Church, a congregation in Garrett County, [[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]], was organized in the spring of 1893 by the people of the Gortner community. They had a Sunday-school attendance of approximately 40, and some preaching appointments in the schoolhouse by [[Evangelical United Brethren Church|United Brethren]] and Mennonite ministers.
 
Gortner Union Church, a congregation in Garrett County, [[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]], was organized in the spring of 1893 by the people of the Gortner community. They had a Sunday-school attendance of approximately 40, and some preaching appointments in the schoolhouse by [[Evangelical United Brethren Church|United Brethren]] and Mennonite ministers.
  
In 1898 the Gortner Union Church was built (26 x 42 ft). Labor and material were donated, and the building was completed at a cash cost of approximately $600, and dedicated 16 October 1898, three different denominations taking part. In the forenoon, [[Bender, Daniel Henry (1866-1945)|D. H. Bender]]conducted Mennonite services; afternoon, Tobias Fike, German Baptist; and evening, Franklin M. Glenn, United Brethren. During the first year several denominations conducted revivals. S. G. Shetler conducted the first revival by the Mennonites in 1899. The church was remodeled in 1937. In 1954 it had a membership of 17 Mennonites, with D. L. Swartzendruber as pastor.
+
In 1898 the Gortner Union Church was built (26 x 42 ft). Labor and material were donated, and the building was completed at a cash cost of approximately $600, and dedicated 16 October 1898, three different denominations taking part. In the forenoon, [[Bender, Daniel Henry (1866-1945)|D. H. Bender ]]conducted Mennonite services; afternoon, Tobias Fike, German Baptist; and evening, Franklin M. Glenn, United Brethren. During the first year several denominations conducted revivals. S. G. Shetler conducted the first revival by the Mennonites in 1899. The church was remodeled in 1937. In 1954 it had a membership of 17 Mennonites, with D. L. Swartzendruber as pastor.
  
 
In 2007 the membership was 38; Steve Sauder was the pastor. The congregation had dual affiliation with [[Church of the Brethren|Church of the Brethren]] and Mennonite Church USA
 
In 2007 the membership was 38; Steve Sauder was the pastor. The congregation had dual affiliation with [[Church of the Brethren|Church of the Brethren]] and Mennonite Church USA
Line 21: Line 21:
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
  
[http://www.brethren.org/ Church of the Brethren]
+
[http://www.brethren.org/ Church of the Brethren ]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 546|date=1956|a1_last=Swartzendruber|a1_first=D. L|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 546|date=1956|a1_last=Swartzendruber|a1_first=D. L|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 14:34, 23 August 2013

Gortner Union Church, a congregation in Garrett County, Maryland, was organized in the spring of 1893 by the people of the Gortner community. They had a Sunday-school attendance of approximately 40, and some preaching appointments in the schoolhouse by United Brethren and Mennonite ministers.

In 1898 the Gortner Union Church was built (26 x 42 ft). Labor and material were donated, and the building was completed at a cash cost of approximately $600, and dedicated 16 October 1898, three different denominations taking part. In the forenoon, D. H. Bender conducted Mennonite services; afternoon, Tobias Fike, German Baptist; and evening, Franklin M. Glenn, United Brethren. During the first year several denominations conducted revivals. S. G. Shetler conducted the first revival by the Mennonites in 1899. The church was remodeled in 1937. In 1954 it had a membership of 17 Mennonites, with D. L. Swartzendruber as pastor.

In 2007 the membership was 38; Steve Sauder was the pastor. The congregation had dual affiliation with Church of the Brethren and Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Additional Information

Address:

4391 Mason School Road

Oakland, Maryland

Phone:

301-334-4305

Denominational Affiliations:

Allegheny Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Church of the Brethren 


Author(s) D. L Swartzendruber
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Swartzendruber, D. L. "Gortner Union Church (Oakland, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gortner_Union_Church_(Oakland,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94880.

APA style

Swartzendruber, D. L. (1956). Gortner Union Church (Oakland, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gortner_Union_Church_(Oakland,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94880.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 546. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.