Gortner Union Church, a congregation in Garrett County, Maryland, was organized in the spring of 1893 by the people of the Gortner community. They had a Sunday-school attendance of approximately 40, and some preaching appointments in the schoolhouse by United Brethren and Mennonite ministers.
In 1898 the Gortner Union Church was built (26 x 42 ft). Labor and material were donated, and the building was completed at a cash cost of approximately $600, and dedicated 16 October 1898, three different denominations taking part. In the forenoon, D. H. Bender conducted Mennonite services; afternoon, Tobias Fike, German Baptist; and evening, Franklin M. Glenn, United Brethren. During the first year several denominations conducted revivals. S. G. Shetler conducted the first revival by the Mennonites in 1899. The church was remodeled in 1937. In 1954 it had a membership of 17 Mennonites, with D. L. Swartzendruber as pastor.
In 2007 the membership was 38; Steve Sauder was the pastor. The congregation had dual affiliation with Church of the Brethren and Mennonite Church USA
4391 Mason School Road
|Author(s)||D. L Swartzendruber|
Cite This Article
Swartzendruber, D. L. "Gortner Union Church (Oakland, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gortner_Union_Church_(Oakland,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94880.
Swartzendruber, D. L. (1956). Gortner Union Church (Oakland, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gortner_Union_Church_(Oakland,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=94880.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.