Goshen (Indiana, USA)
Goshen, Indiana (1955 pop. 13,000; 2000 pop. 30,000), is the county seat of Elkhart County. It was founded in 1831, and in 1955 was the seat of five Mennonite churches with a total membership of over 1,600, and shopping center for an area including at least 3,000 more Mennonite and Amish members, and hub of a larger area of 20-mile (32-km) radius with over 11,000 members.
The first Mennonite congregation in the city was the Brenneman Memorial (United Missionary Church (now Missionary Church), 1885), the second the College Mennonite (Mennonite Church, 1904), the third the Eighth Street (General Conference Mennonite, 1920), followed by North Goshen (Mennonite Church, 1935) and East Goshen (Mennonite Church, 1948). Goshen College (Mennonite Church) was established here in 1903, the Bethany Christian High School (Mennonite Church) one mile south in 1954. The headquarters of Mennonite Mutual Aid (Mennonite Church) and Mennonite Aid, Inc. (MC), has been in Goshen since 1947. Here were also located the Mennonite Research Foundation (since 1947), the Mennonite Historical Society (since 1925), the Archives of the Mennonite (MC) Church (since 1940), the Mennonite Quarterly Review (since 1927), and the Gospel Book Store (MC), one of the retail stores of the Mennonite Publishing House of Scottdale. See articles on all the above organizations and institutions.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Goshen (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87871.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Goshen (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87871.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.