Goshen College Academy (1894-1935). The Goshen College Academy (Mennonite Church) had its beginning in the Academic Department of the Elkhart Institute (Elkhart, Indiana), which offered its first diploma in 1898, and which was continued when the Institute moved to Goshen in 1903 and was called Goshen College. The name "academy" was first used in 1905-1906 (academy was commonly used for private high schools). The Goshen College Academy was a standard high school as was common in those days. Although the Junior College was added in 1903-1904 and Senior College in 1908-1909, the Academy remained the largest department in enrollment until 1913-1914, when it was outdistanced by the College. The largest enrollment was 100 in 1907-1908, the average for many years being 75-85. A total of 373 students were graduated. It finally died for lack of patronage, since by 1935 most Mennonite communities had public high schools available. Principals were N. E. Byers 1898-1906, D. A. Lehman 1906-1926, Silas Hertzler 1926-1927, U. Grant Weaver 1927-1933. The Goshen College Academy served a very useful purpose in furnishing a good highschool education under church auspices for many Mennonite young people who would otherwise have had no opportunity for higher education and it opened the door for a larger life and service for many. In some cases also parental opposition to education compelled young people to wait to attend high school until reaching their legal majority at 21, when they were too old for the local high school.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Goshen College Academy (Goshen, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_College_Academy_(Goshen,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87874.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Goshen College Academy (Goshen, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_College_Academy_(Goshen,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87874.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.