Goshen Mennonite Church (Laytonsville, Maryland, USA)
Goshen Mennonite Church was founded in 1949 in Laytonsville, Maryland. At that time a number of families from the Virginia Mennonite Conference had settled in the area but were without a place to worship. Menno Sell and a few others started meeting in the Woodman Hall, and a Sunday school was established at that time. A Summer Bible School was held in the first year, with an average attendance of 34.
At the end of 1950 the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities helped negotiate an agreement to purchase the building formerly owned by the Goshen Methodist Church. The church building was rededicated in November 1950 and remodeled in 1951.
The congregation was formally organized in 1950 and on 31 December 1950, Menno Sell was ordained to the ministry.
The church joined the Biblical Mennonite Alliance in February 2001.
In 2012 the leading minister was Ezra Maust and the associate pastor was Charles Kline IV. The congregational membership was 23 and the average weekly attendance was 45.
Goshen Mennonite Church. "History of Goshen Mennonite Church." 2009. Web. 9 May 2012. http://www.goshenmennonite.org/history.html.
Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 38.
Address: 8410 Brink Road, Laytonsville, MD 20882
Website: Goshen Mennonite Church
Goshen Mennonite Church Leading Ministers
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Goshen Mennonite Church (Laytonsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 19 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_Mennonite_Church_(Laytonsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=81302.
Thiessen, Richard D. (March 2012). Goshen Mennonite Church (Laytonsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_Mennonite_Church_(Laytonsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=81302.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.