From April 1916 to December 1947 the Herald included a monthly supplement with a mission focus, at first 8 pages, then 16. It was titled Missions (6 April 1916-5 March 1925), Gospel Herald Mission Supplement (2 April 1925-1 February 1941), and Christian Missions (7 March 1941-December 1947). It was edited by J. S. Hartzler (April 1916-September 1920), [Unidentified] (October 1920-September 1932), J. A. Ressler (October 1932-November 1936), "Regular editors of the Gospel Herald" (December 1936-May 1938), and John R. Mumaw (June 1938-December 1947).
A Christian Doctrine Supplement of 16 pages appeared from October 1925 to the end of 1947, first quarterly, then bimonthly, edited until 1943 by Daniel Kauffman, then by Paul Erb. The Peace Problems Committee supplied a monthly Peace Page for many years, first edited by Edward Yoder, Ford Berg, and after 1955 by Paul Peachey.
The Gospel Herald merged with The Mennonite of the General Conference Mennonite Church to form a new periodical called The Mennonite. This was an early step in the restructuring of the two denominations into Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Church Canada. J. Lorne Peachey continued as the editor of the new publication. The last issue of Gospel Herald was 27 January 1998.
|Date Published||September 2011|
Cite This Article
Erb, Paul and Sam Steiner. "Gospel Herald (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2011. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Herald_(Periodical)&oldid=64504.
Erb, Paul and Sam Steiner. (September 2011). Gospel Herald (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gospel_Herald_(Periodical)&oldid=64504.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.