The Graysville Mennonite congregation in Graysville, Manitoba began services in 1927, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1953, with subsequent building programs in 1960 and 1988. Frank Letkeman and John H. Janzen are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through urbanization from rural Manitoba.
The group was originally part of Schoenwieser church group. In 1953 they joined the Bergthaler, largely because of the influence of John H. Janzen, the minister from 1953-67.
The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The 50th anniversary of the congregation was celebrated on 11-12 October 2003.
Ens, Anna. In Search of Unity: Story of the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: CMBC Publications, 1996: 170-171.
Gerbrandt, Henry J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: D.W. Friesen, 1970: 229-232.
Krahn, Gerald. "The Story of the Graysville Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1986, Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Church records microfilmed at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Address: Box 31, Graysville, MB R0G 0T0
Website: Graysville Mennonite Church
General Conference Mennonite Church (1968-1999)
Graysville Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Graysville Mennonite Church (Graysville, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 26 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Graysville_Mennonite_Church_(Graysville,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104170.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Graysville Mennonite Church (Graysville, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Graysville_Mennonite_Church_(Graysville,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=104170.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.