Gretna is a village in the Red River Valley of southern Manitoba, two miles (three km) from the United States (North Dakota) border, with a 1950 population of 608, about one third of which were Mennonites belonging chiefly to two congregations of the General Conference Mennonites, either the Blumenort congregation (largely 1922-1925 Russian immigrants) or the local unit of the Bergthal congregation (largely 1874-1875 Russian immigrants). The entire surrounding area was peopled largely by Mennonites of the 1922-1925 immigration who replaced the older Sommerfeld Mennonites who had emigrated to Mexico and Paraguay. Gretna is the seat of the oldest Mennonite school in North America, the Mennonite Collegiate Institute, founded by H. H. Ewert in 1891. The Altenheim Home for Aged of the Bergthal Church, which was operated here 1918-1938, became a girls' dormitory of the school.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 172.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Gretna (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 2 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gretna_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=81423.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Gretna (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gretna_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=81423.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.