Grijpskerk (Groningen, Netherlands)
Grijpskerk, a village in the western part of the Dutch province of Groningen, the center of an extensive Mennonite congregation comprising several original congregations or circles. Many of them are very old. Leenaert Bouwens baptized five persons in Nieziel, one in Lutjegast, 18 in Visvliet, and 8 in Grijpskerk, making a total of 31 persons. Later all of these groups united in the Pieterzijl congregation, sometime before 1690. In the 17th century this congregation was a member of the Humsterland Flemish Societeit. In 1815 a new church was built in Pieterzijl. In 1826 the congregation participated in the establishment of the Groningen Societeit. The membership was 24 in 1828, 42 in 1835, 80 in 1927, and 48 in 1955. In 1892 the parsonage (which had become dilapidated) and church were transferred to Grijpskerk because of its favorable location. The new church was dedicated on 30 November 1892, by S. F. van der Ploeg, who was pastor of the congregation in 1889-1891. He was followed by A. Gerritsma (1894-1935) and Miss C. W. Brugman (1940-1945). After 1946 the congregation was served by S. S. Smeding of Noordhorn.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1893): 135.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 175.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Grijpskerk (Groningen, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grijpskerk_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=145329.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1956). Grijpskerk (Groningen, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grijpskerk_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=145329.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 582. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.