From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(added categories)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
The Groffdale Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located two miles (three km) northwest of [[New Holland (Pennsylvania, USA)|New Holland]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], is a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference]]. The first meetinghouse was built of logs in 1755 on Hans Groff's vast acreage. A stone addition was built in 1823. In 1909 the new brick church was built which was enlarged in 1936. The congregation cooperated in the [[Palo Alto Mennonite Church (Pottsville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Palo Alto Mission]] from the start, releasing one of its ministers, Lester M. Hoover, to serve there. In 1954 Mahlon Witmer was the bishop in charge, with Eli G. Sauder, Arnos Sauder, and John S. Martin as ministers and Floyd Graybill as deacon. Though a large percentage were still farmers in the 1950s, the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonites]] were buying up most of the land around them. Until 1905 the [[Metzler Mennonite Church (Akron, Pennsylvania, USA)|Metzler]] and Groffdale congregations were served by the same ministers; after that a gradual separation took place. First they had separate deacons and gradually a separate ministry. In 1953 all except two ministers were still serving both congregations. The membership in 1953 was 348. In 2010 the membership was 172; the lead pastor was Thomas L. Eshleman.
 
The Groffdale Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located two miles (three km) northwest of [[New Holland (Pennsylvania, USA)|New Holland]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], is a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference]]. The first meetinghouse was built of logs in 1755 on Hans Groff's vast acreage. A stone addition was built in 1823. In 1909 the new brick church was built which was enlarged in 1936. The congregation cooperated in the [[Palo Alto Mennonite Church (Pottsville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Palo Alto Mission]] from the start, releasing one of its ministers, Lester M. Hoover, to serve there. In 1954 Mahlon Witmer was the bishop in charge, with Eli G. Sauder, Arnos Sauder, and John S. Martin as ministers and Floyd Graybill as deacon. Though a large percentage were still farmers in the 1950s, the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonites]] were buying up most of the land around them. Until 1905 the [[Metzler Mennonite Church (Akron, Pennsylvania, USA)|Metzler]] and Groffdale congregations were served by the same ministers; after that a gradual separation took place. First they had separate deacons and gradually a separate ministry. In 1953 all except two ministers were still serving both congregations. The membership in 1953 was 348. In 2010 the membership was 172; the lead pastor was Thomas L. Eshleman.
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
Line 9: Line 10:
 
<strong>Denominational Affiliations</strong>:
 
<strong>Denominational Affiliations</strong>:
  
[http://www.lanmenconf.org/ Lancaster Mennonite Conference]
+
[http://lancasterconference.org/ Lancaster Mennonite Conference]
  
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania)|Map:Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania)]]
 
[[Map:Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania)|Map:Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 587|date=1956|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 2, p. 587|date=1956|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 +
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church USA Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Lancaster Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Pennsylvania Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Latest revision as of 14:41, 26 March 2014

Contents

The Groffdale Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located two miles (three km) northwest of New Holland, Pennsylvania, is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. The first meetinghouse was built of logs in 1755 on Hans Groff's vast acreage. A stone addition was built in 1823. In 1909 the new brick church was built which was enlarged in 1936. The congregation cooperated in the Palo Alto Mission from the start, releasing one of its ministers, Lester M. Hoover, to serve there. In 1954 Mahlon Witmer was the bishop in charge, with Eli G. Sauder, Arnos Sauder, and John S. Martin as ministers and Floyd Graybill as deacon. Though a large percentage were still farmers in the 1950s, the Old Order Mennonites were buying up most of the land around them. Until 1905 the Metzler and Groffdale congregations were served by the same ministers; after that a gradual separation took place. First they had separate deacons and gradually a separate ministry. In 1953 all except two ministers were still serving both congregations. The membership in 1953 was 348. In 2010 the membership was 172; the lead pastor was Thomas L. Eshleman.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 168 North Groffdale Road, Leola, Pennsylvania 17540

Phone: 717-656-6388

Website: Groffdale Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Maps

Map:Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 1 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groffdale_Mennonite_Church_(Leola,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116703.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1956). Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groffdale_Mennonite_Church_(Leola,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116703.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 587. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.