Gross Brunau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Gross Brunau was founded in 1356. Until 1772 Gross Brunau was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Gross Brunau was located. Gross Brunau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists one Mennonite family by the name of Lammert in Brunau. In 1820, the village together with Altschloss had 471 residents, including 6 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Gross Brunau were members of the Bärwalde Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Bronowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 28 November 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=295&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Bronowo, Nowy Dwór Gdański County." Web. 28 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronowo,_Nowy_Dw%C3%B3r_Gda%C5%84ski_County.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 28 November 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2051.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||November 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Gross Brunau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 24 Jul 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gross_Brunau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94988.
Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Gross Brunau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gross_Brunau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94988.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.