Groveland Evangelical Church (formerly Evangelical Mennonite), located one-half mile (one km) east of Groveland, in Groveland Township, Tazewell County, Illinois, began as a subsidiary of the Wesley City congregation near Peoria, Illinois. Meetings were held in homes until the congregation organized in 1878. The meetinghouse was remodeled twice by the 1950s. Elders who served by 1955 were: Peter Hochstettler and Emanuel Rocke; ministers, Ben Birkey, Chris Oyer, Joseph Rediger, Joseph Springer, Moses Ropp, Amos Oyer, and Paul Rupp; and deacons, Andrew Roth, Ben Roth, Daniel Ackerman, and E. E. Zimmerman. Groveland was host to the conference in 1895, 1903, 1907, 1912, 1918, 1925, 1935, and 1943. Fanny Schmallenberger and Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Rocke went as missionaries to Africa, and Ellen Hochstettler to Tennessee. About 1896-1900 some members left to join with the newly organized Missionary Church Association. The membership in 1954 was 149. Milo Zimmerman was the pastor in 1955.
 Additional Information
Address: 5324 E Queenwood Road, Groveland, Illinois
Denominational Affiliation: Fellowship of Evangelical Churches
|Author(s)||E. E Zimmerman|
 Cite This Article
Zimmerman, E. E. "Groveland Evangelical Church (Groveland, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 2 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groveland_Evangelical_Church_(Groveland,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=81506.
Zimmerman, E. E. (1956). Groveland Evangelical Church (Groveland, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groveland_Evangelical_Church_(Groveland,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=81506.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.