Hague and Osler, Saskatchewan, about 12 miles (20 km) apart and 30 miles (50 km) from Saskatoon, were settled as a whole by Old Colony Mennonites. In 1895 the first settlers from Manitoba unloaded their belongings from the railway, for there was no station or any building in the town. Only a sign with the name Hague was to be seen. The first village was Neuanlage, six miles (10 km) south of Hague, five or 10 families settling here in that year. The next villages built were Reinfeld, Hochfeld, Reinland, Blumenstein, Blumenthal, Neuhorst, Chortitza, Rosengart, Hochfeld, Osterwick, Schönwiese, Grünfeld, Grünthal. On the other side of the South Saskatchewan River is the village Edinburg. When the Mennonites from Russia came in 1923, the Old Colony Mennonites were at their height in numbers, because the majority of the children remained in the villages, the total number at Hague and Osler being about 2,000. A part of this number were Bergthaler Mennonites. Some were dissatisfied with conditions here, mainly because the German language was hard to maintain; so nearly half of the population moved to Mexico and Paraguay. The houses and land of the emigrants were then taken over by Mennonites who came from Russia in 1923 and later.
|Author(s)||John G Rempel|
Cite This Article
Rempel, John G. "Hague and Osler (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 10 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hague_and_Osler_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=81582.
Rempel, John G. (1956). Hague and Osler (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hague_and_Osler_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=81582.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.