Until 1772 Halbstadt was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Halbstadt was located. Halbstadt was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Halbstadt (now Półmieście) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 13 Mennonite families in Halbstadt with the following surnames: Claasen, Conrad, Dick, Isaac, Kroecker, Loewen, Mertins, Reimer, Toews, Wall, Warkentin, Wiens, and Willer. In 1820 there were 186 inhabitants in the village including 64 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Halbstadt were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Półmieście." Web. 17 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Półmieście.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 17 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2367.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Halbstadt (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 20 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Halbstadt_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81603.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Halbstadt (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Halbstadt_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=81603.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.