Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:36, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130823)

Jump to: navigation, search

Hammer Creek, Pennsylvania Mennonite Church, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. Until 1819 the Mennonites of the Hammer Creek-Denver district met in eight private homes for worship. Deacon Christian Eby was successful in keeping the children of members for the church during and after the Revolutionary War. The first two bishops were both named Christian Bomberger. From this congregation came Bishop Peter Eby of the Pequea and Bishop Benjamin Eby and the Ebys, Snyders, Brubakers, etc., who emigrated to Ontario in the first two decades of the 19th century. Since 1913 the congregation has had a large brick church. Amos S. Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman were bishops in 1954, Noah Hurst and Parke Heller ministers, and J. Henry Eshleman deacon; the membership was 182.

Additional Information

Address: 1 Lititz Road, Lititz, PA  17543

Phone: 717-626-8080


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 14 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hammer_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Lititz,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=95066.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1956). Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hammer_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Lititz,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=95066.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 644. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.