Hang, Le (Bourg-Bruche, Alsace, France)
Le Hang, an Amish congregation in Alsace, in the upper Bruche Valley (Vosges), sometimes called Bourg-Bruche. Hang is a little valley surrounded by woods, with about 12 farms. Here a number of families expelled from Switzerland settled in 1770-1775; for example, Bacher, Augsburger, Eymann, Ulrich, Schuerch, Lehmann, Mosimann, Dellenbach. Information on this period is completely lacking, since the local clergy, who kept the registers, did not register dissenters, and the group kept no records. If remoteness from the world was at first an asset, it became a handicap in the time of freedom. Separation from the church as a whole, difficult transportation, and the inadequate educational opportunities on the linguistic border hindered its development. Nevertheless there were still in 1920 about 35 families with 105 souls in a radius of two hours in the vicinity. Religious services were then held once a month, conducted by brethren from Colmar, with meeting place in a farm home. In 1951 the congregation built its first meetinghouse, with aid from the United States, and meetings are now held every 1st and 3rd Sunday in the month. The membership in 1953, including children, was 125, with Charles Goldschmidt as resident pastor and elder. The congregation has its own burial ground in L'Evreuil.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 249.
|Harold S. Bender|
Cite This Article
Volkmar, Henri and Harold S. Bender. "Hang, Le (Bourg-Bruche, Alsace, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hang,_Le_(Bourg-Bruche,_Alsace,_France)&oldid=81640.
Volkmar, Henri and Harold S. Bender. (1956). Hang, Le (Bourg-Bruche, Alsace, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hang,_Le_(Bourg-Bruche,_Alsace,_France)&oldid=81640.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 647. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.