Harrisonburg (Virginia, USA)
Harrisonburg, Virginia, the county seat (population in 1958, 12,000; 40,468 in 2000) of Rockingham County, is located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. In 1880 Harrisonburg was made a town by act of the Assembly on 50 acres of the Thomas Harrison Plantation. By 1916 the town had grown to such an extent that it could qualify for a city charter. The city manager form of government was adopted in 1950. The city is supplied with good water from Riven Rock on the foothills of the Shenandoah Mountain west of Harrisonburg. It is a prosperous city with good stores, factories, hospital facilities, and 19 churches, three of which are Mennonite (Mennonite Church), Chicago Avenue, Broad Street, and Ridgeway. It has two colleges—Madison College, a state college for women, and Eastern Mennonite University, located in a suburban town 1.5 miles northwest of the courthouse. Harrisonburg is the shopping center for the largest settlement of Mennonites (Mennonite Church) in the Valley.
|Author(s)||Harry A Brunk|
Cite This Article
Brunk, Harry A. "Harrisonburg (Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 27 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisonburg_(Virginia,_USA)&oldid=81752.
Brunk, Harry A. (1956). Harrisonburg (Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrisonburg_(Virginia,_USA)&oldid=81752.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 666. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.