From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Added image.)
Line 1: Line 1:
R.R. 2, 3167 Walker Rd., Harrow, ON, N0R 1G0. (519) 738-2148. Located Lot 9, Concession 3, Colchester South Township. Pastor Greg Yantzi served in 2002 as congregational leader. In 1965 there were 59 members; in 1975, 47; in 1985, 70; in 1995, 56; in 2000, 81. The congregation affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1953-1988), the [[Conference of Mennonites in Canada|Conference of Mennonites in Canada]] / [[Mennonite Church Canada|Mennonite Church Canada]] (1953-), the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]] (1953-1999) and [[Mennonite Church Eastern Canada|Mennonite Church Eastern Canada]] (1988-). The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
+
__FORCETOC__
 +
__TOC__
 +
[[File:Harrow-Mennonite.jpg|400px|thumbnail|''Harrow Mennonite Church<br />
 +
Source: [http://www.ekmha.ca/harrow-mennonite-church/ Essex Kent Mennonite Historical Association website]''.]]
 +
The congregation began services ca. 1929, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1951 with a subsequent building program in 1996. Gerhard Papke is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through a division from the [[Leamington United Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ontario, Canada)|Leamington United Mennonite]] church due to distance of travel for Harrow area members.
  
The congregation began services ca. 1929, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1951 with a subsequent building program in 1996. Gerhard Papke is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through a division from the [[Leamington United Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ontario, Canada)|Leamington United Mennonite]] church due to distance of travel for Harrow area members. In the 1980s the congregation maintained a small amount of German in services, mostly songs.
+
The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s. In the 1980s the congregation maintained a small amount of German in services, mostly songs.
 +
 
 +
The church was initially known as Harrow United Mennonite Church.  
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Reporter</em> (27 May 1985): 15; (4 September 1995): 11; (3 February 1997): 18.
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Reporter</em> (27 May 1985): 15; (4 September 1995): 11; (3 February 1997): 18.
  
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Memories: Sixty Years of Mennonite Life in Essex and Kent Counties, 1925-1985.</em> Leamington, 1985, 78 pp.
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Memories: Sixty Years of Mennonite Life in Essex and Kent Counties, 1925-1985.</em> Leamington, 1985, 78 pp.
 +
= Additional Information =
 +
'''Address''': R.R. #2, 3167 Walker Road, Harrow, ON  N0R 1G0
 +
 +
'''Phone''': 519-738-2148
 +
 +
'''Website''': [http://www.harrowmennonite.on.ca/ Harrow Mennonite Church]
 +
 +
'''Denominational Affiliations''':
 +
 +
Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1953-1988)
 +
 +
[[Mennonite Church Eastern Canada|Mennonite Church Eastern Canada]] (1988-present)
 +
 +
[[Conference of Mennonites in Canada|Conference of Mennonites in Canada]] / [[Mennonite Church Canada|Mennonite Church Canada]] (1953-present)
 +
 +
[[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]] (1953-1999)
 +
=== Harrow Mennonite Church Membership===
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! Year !! Members
 +
|-
 +
| 1965 || align="right" | 59
 +
|-
 +
| 1975 || align="right" | 47
 +
|-
 +
| 1985 || align="right" | 70
 +
|-
 +
| 1995 || align="right" | 56
 +
|-
 +
| 2000 || align="right" | 81
 +
|}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=January 1989|a1_last=Epp|a1_first=Marlene|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=January 1989|a1_last=Epp|a1_first=Marlene|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
 +
[[Category:Church]]

Revision as of 04:08, 15 November 2013

Contents

The congregation began services ca. 1929, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1951 with a subsequent building program in 1996. Gerhard Papke is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through a division from the Leamington United Mennonite church due to distance of travel for Harrow area members.

The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s. In the 1980s the congregation maintained a small amount of German in services, mostly songs.

The church was initially known as Harrow United Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

Mennonite Reporter (27 May 1985): 15; (4 September 1995): 11; (3 February 1997): 18.

Memories: Sixty Years of Mennonite Life in Essex and Kent Counties, 1925-1985. Leamington, 1985, 78 pp.

Additional Information

Address: R.R. #2, 3167 Walker Road, Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2148

Website: Harrow Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1953-1988)

Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-present)

Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1953-present)

General Conference Mennonite Church (1953-1999)

Harrow Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1965 59
1975 47
1985 70
1995 56
2000 81


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published January 1989


Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 1 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103470.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103470.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.