G. A. Haury was one of the educators responsible for moving the Halstead Seminary to Newton to establish Bethel College in 1893, remaining on the faculty of the school until the end of his life. He taught Latin, German, English, and other subjects, served as secretary of the faculty (dean), and was editor of the School and College Journal, later the Bethel College Monthly, which carried many of his articles. From 1910 he was treasurer and business manager of the college. He was highly esteemed as a teacher, and was a man of keen intellect and a strong personality. Upon his death the college established a memorial chair, the G. A. Haury Professorship in Classical Languages and German.
Bethel College Monthly. Newton, Kansas. (15 June 1926): 1 ff. (15 October 1926): 1 ff.
Mennonite Weekly Review (June 30, 1926): 3.
Mennonite Yearbook and Almanac. Berne, Indiana, (1927): 45 ff.
Wedel, P. J. The Story of Bethel College. North Newton, 1954: 40, 83, 109, 112, 139, 173, 198, 303, 313.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Haury, Gustav A. (1863-1926)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Haury,_Gustav_A._(1863-1926)&oldid=95142.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Haury, Gustav A. (1863-1926). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Haury,_Gustav_A._(1863-1926)&oldid=95142.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.